When it comes to the field of health and medicine, many advances have been made to ensure patients are as comfortable as possible during tests and procedures. For instance, at one time, the only way to see inside a certain of the body was to do it surgically. Thanks to something called a fiberscope, however, it is possible to see the inside of the human body without having to take any invasive measures. Read on if you're wondering what this tool is and when you might see it when you go to the doctor.
What Is a Fiberscope?
A fiberscope is a flexible instrument that enables the user to see inside certain things such as bodies, locks, machines, and other internal structures that might be inaccessible or difficult to reach. They usually contain the following components:
- Eye piece
- Imaging bundle
- Distal lens
- Fiber optic light guide
- Flexible insertion tube
- Bending and distal sections
The science behind fiber optic bundles is what makes fiberscopes work. These fiber optic bundles consist of very thin fiber optic cables, which is a technology that uses threads made out of glass for the purpose of transmitting data. Fiberscopes can be used in a number of ways including by locksmiths who use them to ensure the pins inside a lock are in the correct position. One of the main uses for fiberscopes, however, is in the medical field.
Medical Tests Done with Fiberscopes
Any time a doctor or a specialist needs to know what is going on in a certain part of their patient's body, they will more than likely prescribe a test called an endoscopy, which is done with a fiberscope. Four common types of medical tests that are done using fiberscopes include:
1. Arthroscopy - This type of test enables the insides of the joints to be seen. An arthroscopy is generally performed by an orthopedic surgeon.
2. Colonoscopy - A type of test that enables the inside of the large intestine to be seen. This is the part of the body that contains the colon and the rectum and is normally performed by a gastroenterologist.
3. Cystoscopy - This type of test enables the inside of the bladder to be seen and is usually done by a urologist. The scope is inserted through the urethra and then into the bladder.
4. Hysteroscopy - A type of test that enables the inside of the uterus to be seen and is usually done by a gynecologist.
Thanks to fiberscope technology, these types of tests can be performed with minimal risks and a quick recovery time. If you'd like more information about fiberscopes, talk to a company like USA Borescopes.